Though often (read: mistakenly) used interchangeably, dry and dehydrated skin differ in both their symptoms, causes, and treatment. In other words, if you want to combat that itchy and tight feeling on your skin, it’s vital to educate yourself on what your skin is truly craving. So, let’s get nerdy about it, shall we?
… is a genetic skin type. It’s caused by a continuous underproduction of oil in the skin and is usually characterized by symptoms such as roughness, itchiness, flaking, and generally damaged skin. The condition often worsens during winter, and symptoms can be affected by both internal and external factors such as:
- Drastic temperatures, both hot and cold.
- Medical conditions.
Though dry skin is genetic, symptoms can luckily be treated and relieved. Some remedies we recommend for dry skin include:
- Using a rich moisturizer containing emollients (fatty substances that smooth and soften the skin) and occlusives (that create a barrier to prevent water from evaporating).
- Applying a facial oil after your moisturizer to lock in the skincare-goodies. Our beloved Vitamin Face Oil replenishes deep in the skin layers to provide long-lasting hydration while delivering healthy nutrients and vitamins, leaving a healthy glow.
… is a skin condition. This means, you guessed it: Every skin type can get dehydrated – and yes, that goes for oily skin as well. Dehydrated skin occurs due to a damaged skin barrier, which makes the skin unable to keep in a sufficient amount of water. In other words: More water is directed out of than into the skin.
Ultimately, this water-loss will result in reduced skin-elasticity, making the skin more prone to fine lines, roughness, and wrinkles. As a result, the skin will most often also lose its radiance, becoming dull.
Our skin is sensitive and can (unfortunately) be disrupted in numerous ways. To avoid dehydrated skin and its uncomfortable symptoms, try your best to avoid:
- Long periods of stress.
As with dry skin, healthy habits go a long way in treating dehydrated skin. Here’s how we help our skin bounce back when it’s dehydrated:
- Drinking (lots!) of water and getting those Zzz (honestly our no 1 rule to overall beauty).
- Using hydrating skincare products to keep our skin replenished.
- Using products containing humectants to absorb water from the air into our skin. Our Intense Hydra Serum is one of our favorite dryness-defeaters as it effectively balances dry areas while forming a protective layer of day-long moisture to the skin.
BALANCED SKIN IS SATISFIED SKIN
When it comes to preventing overall dryness, irritations, and tightness in the skin, keeping your skin’s moisture barrier strong is essential. Whether you’re dealing with dry or dehydrated skin, you’re always doing your skin a huge favor when using gentle and nourishing products.
Harsh cleansers that strip the skin of its natural oils are the top sinners of disrupted skin barriers, as the chemicals and soaps can disturb the skin’s overall balance, leaving it sensitive, irritated, and – big surprise – dry. Doing a double take at your cleanser therefore might just be the first step in getting your skin back on track.
Our Cleansing Balm is a 100% natural, oil-based, and vitamin-infused cleanser that effectively removes makeup and build-up, but keeps the skin’s moisture content intact. Essential fatty acids and powerful antioxidants leave the skin fresh and clean but with that silky-soft finish, we adore. In other words: A yes please all around!